- Haida Gwaii Semester
- Prospective Students
- Other Programs
- About HGHES
- Contact Us
Vision, Mission, Values
The Haida Gwaii Higher Education Society is an enterprising non-profit applying new approaches to education and development on Haida Gwaii
To provide world-class university-level educational opportunities inspired by the people, communities and environments of Haida Gwaii.
- We deliver stimulating community immersion programs for students from Haida Gwaii, across Canada, and the rest of the world. Our community-based approach to teaching provides students the opportunity to learn from local knowledge-holders in addition to their professors.
- We improve community wellbeing in Haida Gwaii.Visiting professors enrich local dialogue and engagement in global events and issues. Students contribute their energy and talent to community projects and, through positive role modeling, bring fresh inspiration to the youth of Haida Gwaii. We give Haida Gwaii residents the chance to study at home.
- We provide economic development and diversification opportunities for the people of Haida Gwaii.
- We believe that making higher education available in Haida Gwaii enriches our communities and the lives of the people who come to study here.
- HGHES and the education we deliver are based on the principle of mutual respect, for each other and the human and ecological communities we inhabit.
- Based on our experience in Haida Gwaii, we believe that working together and learning from each other leads to new ideas and innovative solutions.
- We respect and learn from the contributions and leadership of the Haida Nation.
“I learned more about forestry, management, and the coming together of various groups with different backgrounds and values to protect and restore Haida Gwaii than I ever would have sitting in a classroom in Vancouver. I grew as a student and will remember these invaluable lessons and apply what I’ve learnt in the future.”
- SFU Field School student