- Haida Gwaii Semester
- Prospective Students
- Other Programs
- About HGHES
- Contact Us
Innovation Leadership: New Change Strategies for a Complex World
"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower" -Steve Jobs
An Invitation to Thoughtful Leaders
The Haida Gwaii Higher Education Society invites thoughtful leaders to an outstanding professional development experience, based on the connections between complex systems change and the history and culture of Haida Gwaii.
Haida Gwaii is a compelling example of the complex work of social innovation; a story of unprecedented collaboration, deep resilience and committed stewardship. These are some of the marks of successful leadership for complex change, particularly leadership that anticipates the needs of future generations.
Innovation Leadership is a unique, five-day executive education program designed for professionals interested in learning strategic approaches to address the complex problems that they face. It connects cutting-edge social innovation research and education with the experience and teaching of the people and place that is Haida Gwaii. Guest speakers will include voices from local organizations such as: the Council of the Haida Nation, Haida Heritage Centre & Haida Gwaii Museum, Archipelago Management Board, and more.
This program will appeal to mid career professionals who want to enhance their individual and organizational efforts to work effectively in complex environments, of particular interest to those working in diverse cultural contexts as well as to those whose work is deeply rooted in social and environmental realms. Ideal participants will possess a willingness to learn from experience, a passion for change, a tolerance for risk, an appreciation for diversity, and a genuine desire for strategic action.
Accredited by University of Waterloo, Centre for Extended Learning and its content is based on the highly successful and widely recognized Graduate Diploma in Social Innovation
- Exploring problem domains, seeing and describing current systems
- Shared insights into the pressing issues that currently challenge individuals, organizations, and society as a whole
- Mapping complex contexts to identify the real opportunities for change
- New theories on innovation, systems thinking and complexity
- Introduction to design thinking and implications for strategy and actions that break through barriers
- Moving from theory to practical application in life and work; new way to explain how change happens
- Begin to develop innovation strategies with the potential for durable, broad impact
- Exploring the key leadership qualities of an institutional or system entrepreneur; learning to play this role effectively
- Invited guests will include leaders from the Council of the Haida Nation, Provincial and Federal governments, industry, and the non-profit sector
- Place-based learning components include a boat tour to Skedans/K'uuna Llnagaay (an ancient Haida village in the Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, Marine Conservation Area Reserve, and Haida Heritage Site) and a private tour of the world-renowned Haida Heritage Centre at Kay Llnagaay and Haida Gwaii Museum
2015 Program Dates
- Arrive Thursday, September 24th - Dinner and welcome reception
- Five full days of programming
- Depart Wednesday, September 30th - Brunch and program close
Innovation Leadership will be held at the award winning Haida House at Tllaal, a Haida owned and operated lodge at the mouth of the Tlell River on central Graham Island, Haida Gwaii.
Registration is open until June 30th, 2015 and admission is limited to a small but diverse group of action-oriented individuals. Download the registration form here and return by email to this address.
Cost for the program is $4890 which includes everything (accommodation and meals, ground transportation, special events, etc.) except your travel to Haida Gwaii. Please inquire for local rates.
This program will be instructed by a collaborative team, more information coming soon.